You may have heard many fearsome stories about car theft in South Africa, and what’s even scarier is that car theft commonly occurs from the comfort of second hand car owners’ homes
Car theft is getting worse in many cities across South Africa, especially in Cape Town and Johannesburg, to the point where criminals are driving over front gates.
Here are 5 quick tips to help you prevent your vehicle from being stolen from your home:
#1 Place a steel bracket or cover over your electric gate motor.
#2 Park your vehicle close to your house if your property does not have a driveway or garage.
#3 If your vehicle is parked in an outdoor driveway, ensure the area is well-lit.
#4 If your gate motor has a bracket or cover, place a lock on it to avoid easy accessibility from the outside.
#5 Install sensor lights and an alarm sensors around your house and in your garden.
Why go through the traumatic experience of car theft? According to statistics, South Africa is one of the highly rated countries for crime across the globe.
Statistics show that most car theft occurrences have been experienced early morning, when people leave their homes to sit in peak time morning traffic to work or to drop off their kids at school. CarZar provides some safety tips to take along with you.
Approaching and entering your driveway:
- When driving towards your house be extra alert of your surroundings.
- Stop your car on the inside of the gate and select reverse whilst waiting for the gate to close.
- Check your driveway and street before you enter or leave your house.
- Ensure your driveway is clear.
- If there are strangers next to your house, do not turn into your driveway – pass and come back later.
- Know your neighbors – you’ll be able to contact them in the event of an emergency.
- When returning home at night, ensure that an outside light is on.
- When opening the gate of your house, ensure there is nobody suspicious in the road. Stop in front of your driveway, open the gate, drive in and immediately close the gate.
- If you have small children in the vehicle, always take the car key with you to the front door.
- If your children are older, make sure your kids get out of the vehicle with you.
It’s probably best using public transportation to reduce the risk of becoming victim to crime. However, we know that flogging your car is not as easy as it seems to be. CarZar.co.za empowers consumers to sell their second hand car seamlessly.
Get a free online quote and book a free car inspection with CarZar now! We buy cars in Cape Town, Johannesburg and Port Elizabeth.
At CarZar, we buy cars for cash instantly in 3 quick and easy steps. Calculate your car resale value and get cash for cars by simply:
- Select your car details on www.carzar.co.za
- Book an obligation-free 30-minute inspection in Cape Town, Johannesburg or Port Elizabeth.
- Accept our final cash offer at your inspection and receive instant payment. We’ll also take care of all the paperwork for you