Get ready to feel the crunch – South African motorists have been warned to expect a projected fuel price increase of 63 cents for September.
Watching those rands disappear as your tank fills up can make even the biggest petrol-head think, “Maybe I should sell my car?” Whether you drive a Smart Car, SUV or sedan, reducing your petrol consumption will save you a pretty penny every month.
Here are some tips for making your petrol last longer, to help you save money on fuel!
DISCLAIMER: some techniques, like drafting, are dangerous and against the law – this list will not endorse any of these techniques.
- The Last Air Filter: A clogged air filter can reduce efficiency. If you can’t see through the filter, it’s time to change it!
- Smooth sailing: Drive at a steady pace, trying not to brake and accelerate sharply – this will use more fuel. Keep an eye out for traffic lights changing, so you can slow down smoothly – starting from a stand-still is the worst for petrol consumption!
- Slow down there, partner: The faster you drive, the more petrol you use. Driving at speeds higher than 88km/h uses more fuel – driving at 110 km/h uses 10% more fuel than 100 km/h, while 130 km/h uses 25% more fuel than 110 km/h.
- Open up: if you’re driving at low speeds, open your windows – your Air Conditions will use a lot of fuel at low speeds. So roll those windows down when you’re crusin’ round the ‘burb, but…
- Batten down the hatches: Keep your windows closed when driving at higher speeds – open windows cause drag. Turn on your air-con when you’re on the highway.
- Watch those revs: Your engine uses more fuel when it’s goes past 3000 RPM, so keep an eye on that tachometer and keep those revs down.
- Lose that winter weight: try to get rid of any unnecessary items from your car – the added weight decreases your fuel consumption. Air resistance is another bummer, so remove your roof racks when you aren’t using them..
- Avoid driving in rush hour traffic: Getting stuck in traffic sucks – sucks petrol, that is. If you can avoid driving in rush hour, you’ll save yourself some cash on petrol – spend it on getting a drink at Happy Hour (just one!).
Check out our super useful Fuel Consumption Calculator to help you make your fuel last even longer!
Thinking about forking out more of your hard earned cash just to sit in traffic can be depressing – why not sell your car for cash instead? You can get a free online valuation at www.CarZar.co.za! If you like it, give us a call – we buy cars for cash!
All you need to do is:
STEP 1: Select your car details and receive your free online quote instantly.
STEP 2: Book an obligation-free inspection at any one of our Car Buying Centres in Cape Town or Johannesburg; or at your preferred location in Cape Town, Johannesburg, Durban or Port Elizabeth.
STEP 3: Accept our final cash offer and receive instant payment! We also take care of all the paperwork for you.
Send a WhatsApp message with the word “Quote” to 087 470 0436 and receive a free quote for your car.
With CarZar, you can sell your car in 30 minutes!