There are many ways to go about a private car sale. Most car sellers, however, only know the traditional way of doing so… printing out a “FOR SALE” sign with a cell phone number and sticking it on the vehicle’s rear windscreen. But this way of trying to sell your old car can be a time-consuming process, as private car sellers have to generally deal to endless phone calls, dodgy meet-ups, time-wasters, hagglers, among others.
Looking for a higher price ? At your inspection, you can choose “Option 1” to receive instant cash in hands; or if you’re looking for a greater price, select “Option 2” to advertise your car to dealers nationwide for 48-hours and get the best price directly from the market. Book An Inspection Now!
Other ways of selling a used car privately is through online classifieds. However, the same safety risks and hassling process applies to selling car privately on sites such as Gumtree, OLX, Craigslist, etc…
Being able to sell your car privately does depend on particular factors though… you cannot expect to simply sell a damaged car and expect to get the price you bought it for. Trying to sell a non-runner privately will also be a challenging process, unless your vehicle is a desirable ‘project car’.
Selling a Damaged Car
At CarZar, we buy cars instantly, but if you’re selling a damaged second hand car, your car value will, most likely, not match your estimated free instant online quote.
In finding out what your car is worth, at your obligation-free inspection our professional inspectors will examine the condition of your second hand car, as well as calculate all recon costs. Reconditioning costs are the costs required to bring the car into a ‘selling condition’. Your CarZar inspector will evaluate your car’s reconditioning costs and incorporate them into final cash offer.
Sell your car for cash with CarZar.
Getting cash for junk cars
Sometimes a damaged car is not worth fixing. In this case, CarZar doesn’t buy non-runners. But we can give you some advice about getting cash for clunkers.
If you’re persistent on trying to get cash for your junk car, the best way to sell your non-running car privately is to a junk car buyer. It would offer you more cash in hands. The cost of junking a car is dependent on South Africa’s current market price for particular metals, as well as the car’s make, model, weight and size. If you’re looking for an exact estimated value for your second hand junk car parts, it is best to visit a junk yard for an instant estimate of the cash you’ll receive when you sell your junk car. If your vehicle is a common economy car, junking a car in South Africa would be ‘money-wise’.
However, before you junk a car, you will have to first deregister the vehicle at your local Traffic Department.
If your car is in running condition, here is some useful information on how to sell your car privately.
1. Take a good look at your car. Nobody wants to buy a car with cracks, dents, paint chips, upholstery wear-and-tears or mechanical issues. Before you get to second-base of your private car sale, the second hand car buyer has to like what they see.
2. On the marketing side of things… Well, there’s free online classifieds, but we’ve already warned you about those. If you’re still opting to sell your car privately through a classified, make sure hat you post Photoshop-perfect images of the second hand vehicle, as well as vehicle’s make, model, age and year. The chances of get a phone call is based on what the potential buyers see on the classified.
3. Where you display your used car makes a difference. Display your second hand car private sale in a public area. Displaying it in a dodgy area will prevent you, as the seller, from selling your car fast.
4. Know your car’s market price. Set a realistic price that you’d like to get for your old car. You’ll most likely come across a lot of haggling! However, don’t reduce your price too quickly… play the game and wait at least 48-hours.
5. Have the relevant paperwork ready. Once you seal the deal and make the handover, provide the buyer with an invoice, vehicle registration certificate and a signed-off ‘Yellow Form’ from your local traffic department.
However, CarZar turns these time-consuming 5-steps into 3 simple steps. Private car sellers can simply:
Enter your car details on CarZar.co.za and get a FREE instant online quote.
Book an obligation-free inspection at any one of CarZar’s most convenient Car Buying Centres or at your preferred location.
Receive instant payment directly into your account – We also handle all the paperwork for you!
No haggling involved: After entering your car details, our unique algorithm will generate an instant quote, based on your vehicle’s current market trends, previous transaction histories, and its fluctuations in supply and demand.
With CarZar, you’re guaranteed safety, convenience, transparency and competency throughout your entire car selling experience. And the entire process is completely FREE!
Sell your car in 30 minutes! Selling your car has never been easier.